January 01, 2008

Building Adsense Revenue: Half A Map

I've been looking at my Adsense revenue reports for 2007. No, I'm not just looking at the total dollars brought in. I'm looking at the eCPM for each of the page specific URL channels that I've defined. Specifically, I know which posts are bringing in the highest levels of revenue over any specific period last year.

For example, my highest earning blog post was on a fitness related blog. The post was about research concerning a certain type of diet pill. Looking at my traffic statistics, Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools data, I can see what keywords are being used to find that post. I can also find out what ranking my post has in the SERPs for those particular terms.

If that wasn't clear enough to inspire you here is the partial roadmap:
  • Create page (or section) specific channels so that you can monitor income levels at a low level.
  • After a period of time determine income levels for each of your channels.
  • Determine which keywords are bringing visitors to your high earning pages.
  • Work on improving your SERPs for those productive pages.
At this point I am assuming you know how to improve your search engine ranking!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's quite interesting actually, I wasn't aware that I could trace it back to the actual post that was earning the most.. Obviously with this information you could post more articles on that particular topic as that crowd of readers seems more likely to click Adsense ads..

I'm about to ditch all my other revenue streams and go back to Adsense. Decrease Your Advertising

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for dropping in. Be sure to come back and give an update when you post about the results of your advertising change-up.